Who Should Report?

North Carolina's reporting law applies to every person and every institution in the state. It requires "any person or institution who has cause to suspect that any juvenile is abused, neglected, or dependent, as defined by NCGS 7B-101, or has died as a result of maltreatment" to make a report to the county department of social services.

Are There Any Exceptions?

North Carolina law provides that "no privilege shall be grounds for any person or institution failing to report that a juvenile may have been abused, neglected, or dependent, even if the knowledge or suspicion is acquired in an official professional capacity." The Juvenile Code contains only one exception for the otherwise universal duty to report. An attorney is not required to make a report if "the knowledge or suspicion is gained by [the] attorney from that attorney's client during representation only in the abuse, neglect, or dependency case." In any other situation the law requires attorneys to report like anyone else.

How Do I Report?

Call Forsyth County's Child Protective Services or visit the office in person to make a report.

    (336) 703-ABUSE (2287)
    Monday - Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm)
    Child Protective Services
    Forsyth County Dept. of Social Services, Ground Flour
    741 North Highland Avenue
    Winston-Salem, NC 27102
    We cannot make a report unless we have contact with you. If you have a question, please email us at reportchildabuse@forsyth.cc.